What is this blog all about?

The main purpose of this blog is to give an overview of the things I do, in my everyday life, in order to improve my English. Since I am a very lazy person, I mostly read, and watch movies, and do things which make it possible for me to improve my vocabulary, my grammar and my accent without getting bored... So this blog is going to be about the books I read, the movies I watch, and some other things which I find relevant (or not)...

I hope you'll like it! Don't hesitate to leave comments if you have any suggestions concerning what I should write about!!

jeudi 23 août 2007

Kalinka

Hey reader!

I'm kind of bored, because I don't have much to do, but still must stay a little longer, because I'm waiting for an important e-mail, and I can't leave until I get it. I just love feeling useful, once in a while. Especially these days, because I've been working at the customer service this week, and since I am not very experienced, I mostly just say "sorry, wait a minute, I'll ask my colleague", or "I'll see that with the person in charge" and then I wait until the screaming stops. I love customer service. No, honestly, I like it. It's the challenge I like about it. Keep your nerves in check, stay collected, stay composed, always be nice, and stuff. It's just the best way to procede, I think (I'm not a full time customer service girl, so I can't really say, but so far, that's what I've seen.) An it teaches you zen!

Apart from that, I'm afraid there's not much to talk about in my life lately... I'm back to reading Stephen King in English, by the way, but that's just transitory, I'm going back to the German library tonight, and I'll be reding in German again by tomorrow. I just don't know what to buy, that's my main problem.

The last book I read was by Charlotte Link, a German author that was recommended to me by my best friend V, and it was really good, but it's the second I've read, and they're really long, so I'm thinking maybe I should try something else. Then again, I like her style, and the last one was really gripping. Some kind of "Gone with the Wind"-ish novel, but which took place in England under Henry VIII instead of America during the Civil War... So I don't really know what I'm going to do.

I guess I'll just end up with one more Charlott Link. After all, why should I read something else? When you compare it with the ultimately cheap chick lit I used to read before, I guess it's an improvement. I bought the famous one by Patrick Süskind lately, but could not get beyond the first three pages, because it was already too gross and hopeless for me.

I just remember this extremely bad book I threw away straight after reading it, which was about a girl who had to get married (for unknown reasons) to a man who turned out to be the heir of the russian czars. As if that was not cheesy, ridiculous and un-original enough, the girl happened to be able to communicate with tigers because of weird psychic abilities. Yeah, because her new husband, Mr Nikolaï III, owned a circus (all people of Russian origins own travelling shows of some kind, did you not know ?) I don't really remember the story, I was just struck by its stupidity and the absolutely revolting sex scenes that punctuated it. A real work of art.
I don't usually throw books in the bin, by the way, reader, I'm not a criminal, and think it is morally wrong, I guess burning them at least, would be useful, generate some heat, and good looking flames. I just finished the book, stood up, saw the bin, and the temptation was too strong... besides, the whole book was very wrong, trust me. I think it would not have burnt. I think it would have farted instead.

Anyway. My point is, I think Germans should make an effort and write better cheap love books. After all, it is a style in itself. I mean, how could we recognize a good book, if we did not have things which look bad in comparison? And I demand books in German, because what's the point of reading stuff in German if it's a translation, really, I ask you, reader!
I guess I'll just stop complaining now and go make some enquiry about this mail, because I want to go home! I'm kind of tired, I guess it's all those shrill voices in the phone... Besides, it's so rainy outside that it feels like it's been night all day long, so I'm really longing to get into bed!!! (whooohoo, by the way, here comes my mail!)

Aucun commentaire: