What is this blog all about?

The main purpose of this blog is to give an overview of the things I do, in my everyday life, in order to improve my English. Since I am a very lazy person, I mostly read, and watch movies, and do things which make it possible for me to improve my vocabulary, my grammar and my accent without getting bored... So this blog is going to be about the books I read, the movies I watch, and some other things which I find relevant (or not)...

I hope you'll like it! Don't hesitate to leave comments if you have any suggestions concerning what I should write about!!

mardi 20 mars 2007

Kya tumhare chacha chachi mere chacha chachi nahi?


There we go people!! I could not resist any longer!! I hid some pictures on this blog before, but NOW I found a way to make Bollywood properly fit into this English Language learning blog!! Yeah!!! Drinks all around!!!

So, where were we? Ah, yeah, Bollywood. I don't know if you have heard of Bollywood before, but in case you haven't, the name is a mix between Bombay and Hollywood. Indeed, although they are not very well known, most of the movies produced every year on this planet come from India. Never heard of "Kuch Kuch Hota Hai"? You think "Chori Chori Chupke Chupke" is the sound a squirrel makes when it throws up?? YOU'RE WRONG!!! Ha ha ahahahahaha!!! (OK, I am going to calm down, now... Am I being overenthusiastic? No, readers, I am just being passionate...)


"What does all this have to do with anything?" Well, as I said, these movies are Indian, and therefore, most of them are shot in Hindi, which does not really help us, poor SUK4 students, improve our English. In particular not our English accent. But they are incredibly fun to watch, for anybody who likes musicals. But look titles up on the internet before you chose a movie, because 800 of them come out every year, and most of them are not worthwhile, some being barely watchable, some being very questionable as far as morals and ideology is concerned. But I might come back to that in another post.

What I find interesting for my English, and my knowledge of the English Language and culture, is of course the love-hate relationship between India and English speaking countries which is often depicted in these movies. In my two personal favourites (Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham and Kal Ho Naa Ho) indian families go to live in the US or in England, and it is funny to see how life in these countries is portrayed, really. Especially in Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham, where you can still feel a tinge of resentment against the UK on the part of the Indian family. Both of them are really good movies, which I heartily recommend.

Another movie which describes that very well, and which has the complimentary interest of actually being in english is "Bend It Like Beckham", Gurindher Chadha's hit movie, which depicts the life of a teenage indian girl who is trying hard to blend into her English life, but has to face a lot of difficulties from her pretty traditionalist family. It is a very good and optimistic movie, maybe a little over optimistic, but still, nice and fun to watch.

If you are interested in seeing any of the above, please don't hesitate to ask me in class, I'll be happy to lend my DVDs! And I also have the adress of a really nice Indian shop in Graz (Jakomini platz) where you can buy them for pretty cheap.

Here is a link where you can find a little clip, particularly revealing... Don't think Indians are stupid, please, it's supposed to be funny (to some extent, at least.)





6 commentaires:

Dôdu-Vérô a dit…

aaaaaaaaaaaaah !!!
Youhou ! Quel plaisir de venir sur ton blog ! Vraiment !
Dommage que je ne puisse pas aller voir la vidéo mais bon comme je connais, je ne peux qu'approuver ton choix !
Mais c'est frustrant...
A quand un article sur les talents anglais ?

Claire a dit…

Oui, en fait, en plus, c'est pas vraiment une vidéo exclusive, c'est la vidéo de Pretty Woman... Bon, ceci dit, ça vaut le détour quand même... :-D
Les talents anglais, ça va suivre!! J'ai déjà écrit 6 articles, et rien sur Paul BEttany, ca ne peut plus durer!!

Dôdu-Vérô a dit…

Je pars en droit du travail le coeur léger !
Bientôt un nouvel article :-)
Tu peux faire des commentaires sur ton propre blog ;-)

Claire a dit…

Eh ouais!! Je suis ravie!! Je peux te répondre! J'ai écrit mon article sur imdb, mais j'ose pas le poster... Peut-être demain... Je te demanderai ton avis par mail ou par téléphone... :-D

betty030187 a dit…

*gg* I´ve just watched the clip and *gg* it was very amusing, indeed. And so colourful...

Sarah a dit…

namaste Claire!
je passe enfin faire un tour sur ton blog, que j'aime bien même si je mets du temps à traduire lol (mais c'est un super entrainement!). Je te félicite tu parles très bien anglais :-)
je cherche bien sur en arrivant un article sur bollywood! lol je suis ravie!
A quand d'autres articles? Genre sur Abhishek ou Kunal?
Tu pourrais faire la liste de tes acteurs indiens préférés, ça ferait rêver pas mal de filles :-)
j'ai vu ta photo, t'es toute mimi mais je dois dire que je ne t'imaginais pas comme ça, c'est bizzare comme on se fait toujours une idée des gens avant de les avoir vu!
j'espère te voir en vrai un jour :-)
continue comme ça, courage pour l'allemand!
a+++
Sarah