What is this blog all about?

The main purpose of this blog is to give an overview of the things I do, in my everyday life, in order to improve my English. Since I am a very lazy person, I mostly read, and watch movies, and do things which make it possible for me to improve my vocabulary, my grammar and my accent without getting bored... So this blog is going to be about the books I read, the movies I watch, and some other things which I find relevant (or not)...

I hope you'll like it! Don't hesitate to leave comments if you have any suggestions concerning what I should write about!!

mercredi 28 mars 2007

Oops I did it again...



I tried reader!! I really did! I thought, go on, Claire, write a post about something serious which has nothing to do with anybody's backside, and which will make you sound really really clever. I figured, I could write a post about Babel, but then I rembered Gael Garcia Bernal, and I had second thoughts: "No backside-references, I said"...

So I figured, let's talk about the last movie you saw, is that going to make you sound intelligent and cultivated?? Music and Lyrics... Yes, now, that was reaaaaaally highly philosophical... You lost again...

So, reader, insofar as I seem to fail completely in my task of pretending to be an educated person, I decided I'd just stand up for my right to silliness, once again, and procrastinate my wish to show off.

Sooooooo tonight, I am going to tell you about my top five funny accents in movies and series. I hope you'll like it. And if you don't that's OK too. I'll do better tomorrow. Or the day after.


1. Bound to be Johnny Depp's incredible pirate accent in Pirates of the Caribbean. I think this actor is fantastic anyway, not just because of the way he looks (although that's fantastic too, I have to say...), but also because he can play ANYTHING at all, and never ever looks silly. Just think of Edward Scissorhands, or Willy Wonka, or Ichabod Crane, he keeps playing very different characters, but he always gets it right.

2. Ewan McGregor's hint of scottish accent, whenever, wherever. (I think we're meant to be together, but he seems to have a different opinion on the subject...)

3. Brad Pitt's accent in "Snatch". Can't make out a word of what he is saying. Lisa Joyce told us it was an imitation of the "Travellers'" language, spoken by an Irish bohemian group.

4. "What do you think I am, dumb or something?"- Fourth comes Jean Hagen's great silly voice in the equally great musical "Singin'in the rain", an all time classic, which I find absolutely great (can I say "great" some more?). I saw it when I was a kid, but it still makes me laugh, all the more now that I actually get to understand the dialogues instead of the subtitles... Especially the "Good Morning" song, which has an improving effect on my mood. Did you know that Debbie Reynolds, the main female-character, is also the mother of Star Wars' Princess Leia in real life? You didn't and you don't care? Can't blame you. I'm a big Star Wars fan, so I couldn't help mentioning. You don't care about that either? Well, OK, then, let's move on.

5. Daniele Rousseau's ridiculous fake French on Lost. It just makes me feel so special as a French person to be able to say "that's not even CLOSE to being French, har har har" when I watch the original version of the show... She IS ridiculous though (le tewitoiwe sombwe, har har har!!! Why did'nt they actually cast a French? We've got cool actors too!! Si, si!! I promise!!). And I might as well add a little something here about Sawyer's cool southern accent, which is also very hard for me to understand. That will be a good occasion to add a picture of him... XD. And also, I could tell you about how Sayid's English has got no accent whatsoever in real life, and how he comes from India and not Iraq, and also point out the fact that in the French version Rousseau is actually supposed to be German. You're still not interested? well...

I think I should stop now, anyway. I seem to have a problem with my brain being missing. I managed to talk about Gael Garcia Bernal, Johnny Depp, Brad Pitt, Ewan McGregor and Josh Holloway in just one post, whose title came from a Britney Spears song, and in which I made a very subtle reference to Shakira.

Can I still come to class?

Am I going to lose all my friends? Am I going to make some new ones, maybe?? Am I am hoffnungslose Fall?? Can I blame it on my speaking German all day long? Can somebody help me? And give me a nice ending for this worst post ever? How about good night... Yeah... I'll go for good night... Tomorrow comes my post about Tolstoi, I swear.

1 commentaire:

Anonyme a dit…

C'est Véro (juste que je profite du fait que je ne suis pas obligée de me ré-ré-ré-inscrire, mais c'est bien moi et pas Anonyme)!
Bref je trouvais ça dommage qu'il n'y ait pas de commentaire pour cet article, notamment concernant le numéro 2 ! héhé vive l'accent écossais top classe ! Les tâches de rouge à lèvres par contre... surtout quand on sait de qui ça vient ! rrrrrrrrrrrr
Enfin bref je suis super supporter d'Ewan ! goooooooooooo